The toxicology report released today told us what we already knew from day one – Heath Ledger died of respiratory failure brought on by an overdose of opiates and benzodiazepines. No one was present to observe the respiratory disrhythmias caused by the pharmaceuticals he had ingested.
Its tragic that a light bulb didn’t go off in the maid’s head when she entered Heath’s room early on the afternoon of his death to change a lightbulb in the bathroom. She heard him snoring, and unfortunately didn’t wake him up. That’s surprising since most people are up by noon. Snoring is a sign of respiratory obstruction and could be considered unusual for person of Heath’s size. Usually overweight people snore, not adonis’ like Heath. Since the Medical Examiner thinks Heath died right around the time that the maid entered his room, she could’ve mistaken his snoring for a death rattle called chain stokes breathing. It’s a a shame the maid didn’t see fit to stir him into wakefulness. Sa la vie.
I worried about Heath six or seven months ago when I read that he was partying with Lindsey Lohan at the Hollywood hotspots. I didn’t like the idea, and found his choice of company risky. I hoped that something like this would not happen to him, but unfortunately it did. And it really sucks.
I used to hate it when Heath’s characters died in his movies, and the fact that he is now gone for good is really tough to take. His incarnation was precious and can never be duplicated. He penetrated our hearts with his tremendous talent, and as a result helped make this abusive world a bit sweeter. He deserved all the success he attained in his short life and I feel fortunate that he courageously shared his artistic gifts with us. I will never forget him.
Heath, you will forever be missed and mourned for your beauty, greatness and amazing unrealized artistic potential. Words cannot capture the immeasurable tragedy of your loss. May the prayers of the many who loved you accompany you on your peaceful journeys through the afterlife. Godspeed and God bless.
Here’s the Link from thewest.com.au for the latest information on Heath’s tragic passing, as well as the latest statement put out by his brave family on the cause of his death, which I’ve excerpted below. May Heath find his way to the peaceful realms of existence and dwell there in a state of tranquility until it is time for him to come again to the physical plane.
“We remain humble as parents and a family, among millions of people worldwide who may have suffered the tragic loss of a child.
“Few can understand the hollow, wrenching, and enduring agony parents silently suffer when a child predeceases them.
“Today’s results put an end to speculation, but our son’s beautiful spirit and enduring memory will forever remain in our hearts.
“While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath’s accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.
“Our family enjoyed an extremely happy two-week visit with Heath just prior to the New Year.
“Those recent precious days will stay with us forever.
“We as a family feel privileged to have some of his amazing magic moments captured in film.
“To most of the world Heath was an actor of immeasurable talent and promise.
“To those who knew him personally, Heath was a consummate artist whose passions also included photography, music, chess and directing.
“We knew Heath as a loving father, as our devoted son, and as a loyal and generous brother and friend.
“We treasure our beautiful granddaughter Matilda (to our dear Michelle) as well as an unbelievably wonderful network of close friends, forever, around the world.
“Families rarely experience the uplifting, warm and massive outpouring of grief and support as have we, from every corner of the planet. This has deeply and profoundly touched our hearts and lives. We are eternally grateful.
“At this moment we respectfully request the worldwide media allow us time to grieve privately, without the intrusions associated with press and photography.”